Monday, January 5, 2009

The Big 4-0 and Our Sick Girl!

Saturday was a big day for our family. Wayne celebrated his 40th birthday. And he got to start the celebration around 2am Saturday morning when Addison woke up sick. She had a terrible cough so she and I spent the rest of the night propped up on the sofa at the lake. Keeping her propped up seemed to help the cough. After an early morning call to the doctor, they just recommended using a humidifier and keeping her propped up to sleep. Thankfully we didn't have to hurry back to get to the doctor since we were two hours away. We did head back to Birmingham Saturday afternoon so Wayne and I could go out to dinner. We had already asked Wayne's parents to keep Addison so we could enjoy a quiet dinner together. I knew she would be in good hands with Granna and Papaw, so we went to Kobe for dinner. Poor Wayne--I probably talked about Addison more than I should have. But since this is her first illness, I think he was as worried as I was. I kept asking him to check his phone to see if they had called. :-) We ended up picking her up by 8:00 and were all in bed by 9:00. What an exciting 40th birthday--my how things change when you have little ones.

Addison has continued to cough, but has been in a great mood despite not feeling good. I took her to my mom's this morning because I had to return to work. Mom said she thought Addison was wheezing so she convinced me to call the doctor's office. I was afraid I was just being a worrisome first time mom, but I was glad to hear mom was concerned too. After calling and getting a busy signal for 30 minutes (Monday morning right after a holiday), I finally got through and got her an appointment for 11:00. Turns out she has bronchiolitis resulting from RSV. She had a breathing treatment and chest x-ray. She also had one of her ears cleaned out which involved the doctor, a nurse, and myself holding her down while she screamed. She screamed so much that she burst several tiny blood vessels in her scalp and in her face. Now she has red polka dots. At least she will forget this visit, but mom sure won't.

So say a prayer for little Addison. The doctor seemed to think she will probably get worse before she gets better. I'm just thankful she ate something this afternoon. She went about 7 hours this morning without eating and that is very unusual for my little one who has her eating clock set for every 3 hours still. She has been sleeping a lot today and now that mommy is ready to sleep, she is wide awake. Welcome to motherhood!

PS--I haven't forgotten about Christmas pictures. I'll try to post some tomorrow.

0 comments: